Sunday, June 13, 2004

Anatomy of a Wearable

In my mind, a wearable computer will be composed of
1) A computer running Windows or LINUX
2) A Head Mounted Display (HMD) that is not too obtrusive
3) A Keyboard that can be used while on the move
4) A Mouse/Trackball/Touchpad that can be used while on the move
5) Some way to carry it all that allows usage while on the move
6) LAN/WLAN/WAN access for communications
7) Earpiece/Microphone for Audio

My current (it keeps changing as techology evolves) wishlist for these items is (not all products are available, yet)

1) OQO
2) MicroOptical SV-6
3) FrogPad
4) Cirque Touchpad
5) eHolster
6) Bluetooth Phone for WAN and 802.11b for WLAN
7) Bluetooth Wireless Headset (Jabra BT200?)

4 Comments:

At 11:04 PM, Blogger Chuck said...

The NextLink AX Bluetooth headset is available for $85 from pilcon (as of Nov.) It is the smallest headset available. It has the advantage that it can be worn with eyeglasses (unlike the Jabra headsets).

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Chuck said...

Phones - I am torn between a Sony-Ericsson T39m or the new BlueAngel PPC Phone from HTC.

The T39m is a small phone with Bluetooth. It does not have a camera (Good!!! I cannot take a camera into many places I go for work.) However, it is GSM only, and has been discontinued. It is available on eBay. ~$60

The HTC BlueAngel is about to be available from many providers, both GSM and CDMA. It is about the size of my hp1910 (.5" taller, 3.2 oz heavier) with a slide out QWERTY keyboard, bluetooth, and (GSM only) 802.11b. It does have a 1.3mp camera (but I cannot find a shipping BT phone without a camera). ~$800 [I can dream, can't I?]

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Chuck said...

I have ended up with a Sprint PPC 6601 (HTC Blue Angel) from work and a NextLink AX2 Bluetooth headset.

They work great.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Chuck said...

Just got a Frogpad Ion USB keypad for Christmas. Works great - I just have to learn the chords for one-handed typing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home